The president of NASCAR’s sanctioning body has come out in support of removing the Confederate flag from South Carolina’s statehouse grounds.
Calls for the flag’s removal were renewed after nine black members of a Charleston, S.C. church were shot and killed during a Bible study Wednesday night.
The man accused of the shooting, 21-year-old Dylann Roof, allegedly sought to incite race riots and used white supremacist code online.
“NASCAR supports the position that South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley took on the Confederate flag on Monday,” International Speedway Corporation president John Saunders said.
Flanked by S.C. lawmakers, including Rep. Mark Sanford, at a press conference Monday, Haley said the flag should come down, and encouraged the S.C. legislature to take action.
“As we continue to mourn the tragic loss of life last week in Charleston, we join our nation’s embrace of those impacted. NASCAR supports the position that South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley took on the Confederate Flag on Monday. As our industry works collectively to ensure that all fans are welcome at our races, NASCAR will continue our long-standing policy to disallow the use of the Confederate Flag symbol in any official NASCAR capacity. While NASCAR recognizes that freedom of expression is an inherent right of all citizens, we will continue to strive for an inclusive environment at our events.”
ISC president John Saunders